My love for dishes with potatoes continue. Combine that with cold weather then what you've got is creamy loaded potato soup. Slow cooked so that I can go about my day as usual. This easy recipe is adapted from thecrockpotgirl's Youtube video.
Crockpot Potato SoupDirections:
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter (skipped)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1 oz cream cheese, cubed (orig 1 cup cream or 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 cream)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Garnish: chopped green onions, bacon, and shredded cheese
The steps to make are ridiculously easy, but see the short video below for a full explanation. Just like any other crockpot recipes, the idea is to prepare the ingredients, mix them all up in the crockpot and cook for several hours.
A couple of changes have been made from the original recipe. Particularly, butter and cream have been replaced altogether by 1 oz cream cheese simply because I did not have enough butter and cream at the time I decided to make this soup. Also, 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper have been added to give the soup a little kick.
- Dice and slice onion and potatoes. Since I was aiming for 8 hours of cooking time, I cut up the potatoes a little thicker (1-inch cubes).
- Combine potatoes, onion, chicken broth, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and red pepper in the slow cooker. Cover and set on low for 8 hours.
- Mash the potatoes using either an immersion blender (Cuisinart rocks!) or a common potato masher. Either one is handy if you love making dishes with potatoes. I might have made mine a little smoother than the original recipe had intended.
- Add cubed cream cheese and shredded cheese. Adjust temperature to high and stir until well blended. Should take 15 minutes or so.
- Garnish and serve.
YOU MAY LIKE